In the backpack

Well travelled dogs

While travelling, Miss W says I need to carry my day gear in a backpack or something similar.

What do you think I should have in my pack?

These are things:

• I would use everyday while we are away
  • to make sure we are going in the right direction
  • to keep a record of where we have been
  • in case we get in trouble on the road
  • to contact people we are going to meet

Leave a comment telling me what you feel are the three most important things I should have in my backpack and why.

Image: ‘Pampered Pooches

52 thoughts on “In the backpack

1. Greetings from Dunedin, NZ… I am guessing that you would be carrying some plastic bags for your owner to use to pick up any “packages” you need to leave behind… Do you have to do that in Australia? In NZ, the council can fine you if you let your dog do number 2 and leave it there…

Maybe a water bottle for those long walks???

• G’day MsBee,
      Being a native animal in Australia, we leave any ‘packages’ where they are dropped. It helps the bush floor become well mulched. Those little pooches in the image have to have their owners pick up their ‘packages’ though.

2. a thing you can use to get around is a map and a mobile phone will help if you want to meet some peaople

3. I think you need, a map, mobilephone, snacks, a pen/pencil (so you can wright down on the map where you have been), a few numbers just incase you get a flat tyre and a computer.

• Hi Kasey,
      Great idea a number in case of a flat tyre – do you know what number I will need to ring? Miss W is a member of the RACT here in Tasmania and they have a reciprocal agreement with a company in America. Maybe you could find out and leave another comment here.

4. maybe you might need to pack a water bottle and some cloths and maybe a jig-saw to keep you ocupied maybe a laptop to keep on contact with your friends that is what I normaly pack

5. Hi Sam here:
    I think you will need…
    1. A camrea so you can take photos while you are away.
    2. A map so your goign in the right direction.
    3. A diary so you can record where you go and what you do.
    4. A mobile phone that is charged in case you are in trouble on the road.
    5. Maybe a laptop so you can skype people back home on

• Hi Sam,
      That camera is going to be very important and I will be uploading them to my Miss W.’s flickr account so students can use the images in their own posts. Notice I have a flickr badge as a widget on this blog.

6. A snow dome of Cradle Mountain. If you get lost, people will know where to send you, so you can come home!

7. Hello Davo Devil, I think an i-phone for emails,photos,maps and internet would be a good idea to have in your backpack. You need a map,camera,computer,phone,book and a medical kit. Then when you get home you can share your photos,experiences and sightings!
    From Joseph at http://bbjoseph.edublogs.org/

8. Dear Mr Devil

In your back pack I think you should pack,
    .A first aid kit in case you grt in trouble,
    .Some food in case you get hungry and A phone so you can contact the pepole you are going to meet so you can let them know youre comming.

From
    Jess

9. Mr Devil,

i think you should have..
    1. a camera to take some photos.
    2. a map/compass to show you the right way.
    3. a book/diary/piece of paper to write it down.
    4.a mobile phone or something to contact someone with it you get into trouble on the road.
    5.You could have a phone/laptop to chat with the people.

10. Hi Mr. Devil,

I think you should pack an iPhone or some type of smartphone because you can use it to contact people, it has a compass, a map, you can do your blog on it, it’s small, and has a camera/video on it.

What is it like where you live? Because it might be really different here and where you are traveling. What do you eat? Because we might have different food here.

Is it true that you can eat through the bone? I told my mom you can snap the bone in half and eat the middle, but she doesn’t believe me.

From,
    Gamekid

11. Dear Mr. Devil,

I think you need to bring:
    1. bring water
    2. when you are always so thirsty and get lost, bring a map
    3. in case you don’t know where you are, and you need to call someone for help like if there is a fire, bring a phone
    4. when you don’t know them, don’t talk to them. Just bring a phone incase you need it.

From,
    Emma

12. Dear Mr. Devil,
    I think you need to bring:
    1. bring water
    From,
    Emma

13. Dear Mr. Davo,

Here are some things we think you should pack: a map with our school district highlighted (it looks like you might come here :)); some meat and vegetables for the airplane ride, water for the long airplane trip; a pillow so you don’t get a cramp in your neck; a toothbrush; and suitcase to put it all in.

Sincerely,
    Mrs. Goucher and class

14. Dear Mr. Davo,

Here are some of the things I think you should bring with you. Water, so you will not get thirsty. A map just in case you get lost. Also I think you should bring a cellphone to contact the people you are going to meet.

From,Katie

15. Dear Mr. Davo,
    I think you should bring water, a first aid kit, and a map, just in case you getb lost. You should also bring a toothbrush, and a pillow. You should probably bring a hat and some sunscreen.
    From Katie

16. Dear Mr.Davo,
    I think you should bring some food, and water because if you get lost and hungry you have something to eat and drink. I also think you should bring a compas so you know where you are going, a walkie talkie/phone if you get lost you can contact someone.
    From Nikki

17. Dear Davo Devil,

I think you should bring some food and water, some extra clothes. A camera and some paper and a pencil so you can write letters, a map in case you get lost and last but not least, some snacks!

18. Dear Davo Devil,
    I think you would need an iPhone 4 to call, text, facetime, skype, use maps, find restaurants, and surf the web. You would also need food, water, a camera for taking snapshots, and extra clothes. (:
    From, Addy.

19. Dear Mr. Devil,

I think you should bring water, a cell phone, a map, a pen, a pad of paper, food, and a first aid kit. Those are my suggestions. Hope I helped 🙂

From Sarah

20. Dear Mr. Davo,

I think you will need plenty of clothes and snacks. They are very important for basic travel. A map or GPS would definately come in handy while making your way around. It would also be wise to have writing supplies and a cell phone to contact those you will be visiting. Thank you and have a nice trip!
    From, Zoe.

21. Dear Mr. Devil,

Thats a very good question to ask. I personally think you should bring an iPhone, or someother type of smartphone, because the can tell you the time, they can let you keep track of your journey on an app that would let you keep notes, get maps by going on the internet, they can let you text or call anyone you need to, or play a game on it when you are really bored. However don’t forget to bring enough money, and mabye even a nice long book to read.

22. @ everyone who left a comment

Thank you all so much for your hints on what I should be packing this week, ready for my trip to USA and Canada.

I will certainly be taking food and water, but not dog treats – I enjoy raw meat as I am a carnivore, but I don’t think I will be able to bring that into those countries because of quarantine rules.

Miss W will have her laptop and kindle with her but she might have to buy a cell phone in USA as it was going to cost far too much to bring one from Australia.

23. Miss W and Davo,

We’re looking forward to your visit! I hope you have happy and safe travels! What will the most difficult part of the trip be for you?

Sincerely,
    Mrs. Allen

• Kehana,
      If you look at the bottom of the post, you will see Image: and a link next to it. That means I found the image on flickrcc. Putting this link on your blog is called giving attribution for the owner of the image.

If it is an image I took I usually write something about anyone can use this image in their posts.