Leaving the mountains behind

Out of Kamloops today after staying at the Country View Motor Inn, which was great accommodation with helpful staff. Still trying to look for wild animals in the forests. We often see the Trans Canada Railway line beside us but haven’t seen the special Rocky Mountaineer yet. Would love to travel in that another time.

Followed the Shuswap Valley and turned off to visit the Roderick Haig Brown Provincial Park to check out the salmon. One little creek, there was one female flicking her tail to get rid of the stones where she was going to lay the eggs, and there were three males trying to court her. They kept chasing each other back and forward to the little area of rocks she had organized. After an hour, they were still trying to see who would fertilize the eggs.

Through Salmon Arm, following Trans Canada Highway 1 to Craigellachie, famous for ‘The last spike‘on the Canadian Railway line. Then we headed to higher country – up over Eagle Pass through Revelstoke and suddenly driving through tunnels on the road. Roger’s Pass, the highest point on the road deserved a picture and walk around . This part of the country reminded Miss W of Switzerland and I often heard her singing “The Lonely Goatherd” from Sound of Music.

Spent the night at Golden – most expensive night so far but I suppose we are on top of the world in the high Rocky Mountains.

Up early to head to Lake Louise and Banff. Seeing lots of signs to Kicking Horse Lodge or Kicking Horse activities. All the rivers up here are a funny greeny white colour. Wonder what causes that – I am used to either blue or brown water that has gone through the button grass back In Tasmania.

At Lake Louise, Miss W got some money from the ATM at the liquor store and we bought some more snacks to eat while driving. Headed up to Lake Louise itself, saw the fantastic Fairmont Lodge at the lake. Was too wet and windy to go on the gondola ride so we headed to Moraine Lake. Wonder why it was called that? There was a large pile of rocks at one end of the lake and lots of avalanche areas heading into the lake.

Back onto Highway 1 – noticing there are no native animals around but there are huge fences on either side of the road. Then we saw what looked like bridges going over the road and they also had high fences. Wonder what these are for?

Into Banff just to see the famous Banff Springs Hotel – so very impressive. This is what you always see on postcards about Banff. Even though there was no snow, the town was full of people.

At Canmore, decided to head off the main highway and followed a wildlife drive that was publicised in a pamphlet Miss W picked up. Finally we are going to see real animals in the wild. It was a gravel highway so we had to drive very slowly which suited us. More chances to see those animals. Notices were posted to look for elk, moose, bears, bighorn sheep, Rocky Mountain Sheep, coyotes. I looked right, Miss W left, then Miss W right and me left.

STOP!STOP! Go back – I was yelling so loudly.  Out of the corner of my eye I was sure I saw a  moose. We took a photo just to prove it, but it started to move away because a loud, noisy, fast car overtook us.

For the rest of the trip, we continued looking but the only other animals seen were …………cattle. Heading out of the mountains into the foothills so no chance now until we hit the east coast Canada /USA to see moose again.

Bypassed Calgary and headed south – staying at a Motel 6 in Claresholm, ready to visit Head Smashed In Buffalo Jump tomorrow.

Remember to leave a comment or write a post about something highlighted or of interest to you.

19 thoughts on “Leaving the mountains behind

1. Hello Ms. W! This is Jackson from Ms. Smith’s class.
    I went to Banff as well with my auntie, mom and sister. I thought it was sooooo beautiful and I thought all the little shops were really interesting. On the way there we almost got in an accident on the freeway! My auntie was driving and there was a man pulling out on the right and didn’t even look for oncoming traffic and completely cut us off! It was very scary. What was your favorite thing about the moose? I hope the rest of your trip goes smoothly! Jackson

• Andrew, I still check out the blogs of students in my classes back at school. I notice Mrs H is doing a great job with the posts. I am having a fantastic time.

2. Hi Miss W! I was a student of yours back in Tassie. Your trip seems very exciting! I saw your post about the moose and the noisy car. Hope your having a great time!

• Josh,
      I am having a great time, thanks and so is Davo. Make sure you write some questions about Canada and USA on the question page and perhaps try to answer some of those asked about Australia.

3. hi Miss.W,
    i hope you and Mr.Devil are having lots of fun looking at different sights and visiting lots of people! i think dome one definatly forgot to clean up after themselves!!!

4. Hello,
    Have you ever seen a bear because their are many different types of bears among the forests and the roads.
    I like your blog.
    Julia

• Matthew,
      Miss W and I are so disappointed that we haven’t seen too many animals. But we went to the Grasslands in Saskatchewan and saw prairie dogs and bison out in the wild.