Spending Time with Mrs. Watanabe

Earlier this week, I spent the day with Mrs. Watanabe.

We spent the morning on the patio playing backgammon and sipping lattes. Mrs. Watanabe has a thing for lattes, and claims to make a fantastic latte. I didn’t like it much, but wanted to use the good manners that Miss W taught me, so I thanked her for her hospitality.

I did enjoy learning how to work the coffee machine. My favorite part was frothing the milk. I’m still getting used to the thermometer in the USA being in Fahrenheit degrees, so when Mrs. Watanabe asked that I stop steaming the milk at 160 degrees, it took me a moment to realize that was really about 70 degrees Celsius.

We went out to lunch at Joe’s Farm Grill. The food was fabulous, and everyone in the family enjoyed their meal. I loved running around the farm and was surprised that I couldn’t play in the tree because there are scorpions that live in the bark.

What I found most interesting was the decor in the restrooms. They had dolls in the wall, and a movie playing. I wanted to watch a little TV, but Mrs. Watanabe reminded me that others needed to use the restroom also.

Do you have a favorite restaurant? What makes it your favorite?

What do you know about scorpions, and do you have any interesting stories about them?

What do you think was unique about my time with Mrs. Watanabe?

10 thoughts on “Spending Time with Mrs. Watanabe

1. Hello Davo,

Who would have known you would get some training as a barrister? You are certainly gaining many skills in your travels.

My favourite family restaurant is in my local club. It’s not the fanciest in meals or set up but families are very welcome and the food is good.

I think Australia has around 100 species of scorpion. They’re arachnids and therefore in the same group as spiders. Being a Tassie devil, you might have seen some in your natural habitat.

Here is a Wikipedia link to one found in Tasmania…

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cercophonius_squama

With so many experiences and chances to travel, you are probably becoming one of the most travelled Tassie devils in the world.

Looking forward to reading about more of your adventures, Davo.

@RossMannell
    Teacher, NSW, Australia

• Hi Mr. Mannell,

Yes, I’m gaining so many skills, and becoming a barrister is just one of them.

I’d forgotten about the scorpions where I grew up. Silly me! The ones I’m used to are dark brown, but the most common ones here in Arizona are light tan.

I’m off on another adventure this weekend, and I’ll tell you more about it in my next post.

From,
      Davo

2. Dear Davo,

Wow! I love lattes! If I ever see you again, maybe you can make one for me! It sounds like you are learning quite a lot at the Watanabe house! Lucky you!

I do not like scorpions! I have lived in southern California for most of my life, but recently I have started seeing scorpions here. I never knew there were around. Here is a photo of one that was found in Royce’s house last year!

http://yollis365project.blogspot.com/2011/09/258-scorpion.html

Has Mrs. Wantanabe ever seen one in her house? Maybe you could eat it if you discover one? Do you think that would be a safe thing for a Tasmania devil to do?

Sincerely,
    Mrs. Y♥llis
    California

• Dear Mrs. Yollis,

Yes, I’ll make you a latte one of these days, and will make sure any scorpions in your area will be exterminated, devil’s honor. I hadn’t seen that picture from Royce’s house, he must have been surprised. Mrs. Watanabe told me she’s seen several at her house, usually during the summer time. However, she mentioned the one morning she didn’t need a latte was the morning she found a scorpion under her shampoo bottle, and it had a little bug trapped under there with him! Mrs. Watanabe said she was wide awake after that!

You asked if it would be safe to eat a scorpion–I reckon not. The scorpions here in Arizona, such as the bark scorpion, can be troublesome for pets. So, I won’t go trying one for a snack any time soon.

PS I was curious, did Mr. and Mrs. Snowflake move back into the attic?

Your buddy,
      Davo

3. Dear
    Davo,

Do you know what kind of latte you had? If you had caramel that would be my favorite kind. I thought it was interesting you played a board game. Was the game hard? Once I went to Joe`s Farm Grill. I ate a burger it was the best. I can`t wait for you to see are blog.
    from
    jaden,

• Hi Jaden,

It was a plain latte. I never saw Mrs. Watanabe add any flavors to her lattes. However, she did love the milk froth. I, on the other hand, could have added some caramel or brown sugar. Those would have been delicious.

We played backgammon. Have you played it before? It’s easy to play.

I am looking forward to seeing your blog.

From,
      Davo

4. Hi Mr. Davo,

I have never tried a latte before. With your expression, should I try it? What kind of latte did you have? My teacher, Mrs. Fraher, said that Joe’s Farm Grill was really good. Do you remember her? You have visited her. What type of food did you eat at Joe’s Farm Grill? What movie did you want to watch in the restroom? I wish my restroom was that detailed and pretty. Right back soon.

From,
    Lilly

• Hi Lilly,

I don’t recommend your trying a latte unless you are allowed to drink coffee. I did not like it, but was being polite. Hot chocolate would have been more my style.

I absolutely remember your teacher. I had so much fun looking at the birds out of your window, learning about the Superstition Mountains, and having the Pledge of Allegiance sang in sign language.

I ordered a lot of meat from their menu because I love meat. Mrs. Watanabe reminded me that I had a limit to how many items I could order. I just can’t help it if Tasmanian devils like to eat, and luckily I remembered to tell her thank you.

I’m not sure what movie was playing. Mrs. Watanabe thought the movie was from the 1960s, but I am not sure.

Take care!

Your buddy,
      Davo

5. Hi Mr. Davo,

I like Olive Garden. I like it because when you leave they give you free mints, oh and the Venetian Apricot Chicken. Yum it was delicious.

Some glow in the dark, but it’s mostly the desert ones.

The latte. Even though I never had one I think it looks delicious. I’ve had a frappuccino, but never a latte.

See You Soon Mr. Davo,
    ~Clarissa~