Arriving in Connecticut

Last week I arrived in the state of Connecticut to spend some time with Mr. Salsich’s grade 3 class.

Me with Mr. Salsich’s students

Connecticut is in the northeast corner of the United States. It is a long way from my home in Tasmania!

From Tasmania to Connecticut

*

The first thing Mr. Salsich’s students did was to introduce me to their class mascots – Juan Pablo the red-eyed tree frog and Perezoso the sloth. They are very nice, and helped me to learn my way around the class (although Perezoso kept falling asleep!)

My New Friends

*

Because I had just been with Mrs. Watanabe and the students at Apache Junction School in sunny Arizona, I was a little worried that I might feel cold here in Connecticut. I was surprised that Mr. Salsich’s students had  a mini Sonoran desert right there in their classroom! That helped make me feel warm and it reminded me of my friends in Arizona:

A saguaro cactus

Actually, the weather wasn’t as cold as I thought it might be. The students said they have had a mild winter so far with only one snow storm. I kind of hope it will snow will I’m here!

*

I got to meet all of the students, and spent time with some of them during their reading time. 

Reading a Good-Fit book

*

They showed me around the school. I especially liked the mural of Clifford the big red dog!

Meeting Clifford

*

The next two weeks I will be going to visit some of the students to find out what life is like in Connecticut.

I’m very excited! Stay tuned to find out what I learn on my visits.

2 thoughts on “Arriving in Connecticut

1. Hello Mr. ‘Davo’ Devil, Mr Salsich and class,

Davo, I see you have continued your wonderful journey around North America. I think you’ll enjoy your time in Connecticut. I have good friends living in Newtown, CT so I know it’s a very friendly place to be.

Having a Sonoran Desert scene in the classroom must have helped you feel at home. I know from their blog, you had a great time in Arizona.

The Clifford the Big Red Dog looks amazing. I’ve used the book in my classes over the years. By the looks of the photo, you wanted to have a closer look.

You adventure continues, Davo. I know you’re going to have more wonderful adventures in CT.

@RossMannell
    Teacher, NSW, Australia

2. Dear Davo,

Wow, what a journey you are on! I’ll have to tell the kids in my class that you are spending time with our quadblogging buddies, Mr. Salsich and his class.

I wonder how you will like the snow there in the east. Have you seen any yet?

My class and I look forward to your continued reports!

Your old friend,
    Mrs. Y♥llis
    Sunny California